I don’t know about you, but I love Twitter. I love how fast it is. I love how insatiable the information is. I love how easy it is to connect with even hard-to-reach people and I love how it can give you a glimpse of what is happening during history events in the making.
This past year, Twitter was the platform which gave rise to the #MeToo Campaign with Alyssa Milano’s now famous tweet. And it’s not surprising. Twitter is such an easy platform through which to disseminate information. Especially short bites. And when something catches on, it can catch on within minutes or seconds, becoming viral in an instant.
As women around the world celebrate International Women’s Day, myself among them, I’ve chosen to share tweets from around the world showing how various women, men and organizations are inspiring, celebrating and making a difference.
As International Women’s Day is still happening, more wonderful tweets will be tweeted throughout the day. Please share your favorite International Women’s Day Tweets in the comments section below.
Happy International Women’s Day 2018!
1. Brilliant Marketing Shared
Stunt of the day: McDonald’s is flipping its logo “in honor of the extraordinary accomplishments of women everywhere.” McBrilliant.
— James Herring (@itsjamesherring) March 7, 2018
2. A beautiful dedication to those women who cannot celebrate International Women’s Day
Happy #InternationalWomenDay2018 let us be the voice for the oppressed, those with limited rights and freedom, those that cannot celebrate with us. This tweet is for you. ???? pic.twitter.com/wM7e862QNU
— Elly Hoult (@HoultElly) March 8, 2018
3. Acknowledgement, love and inspiration
— Hamsa Nandini (@ihamsanandini) March 8, 2018
4. We are all wonder women here to support each other
— Dr Kirsty Fairclough (@DrKFairclough) March 8, 2018
5. MP Robert Jenrick acknowledging his kick-ass wife being featured in the Financial Times in honour of International Women’s Day 2018
— Robert Jenrick MP (@RobertJenrick) March 8, 2018
6. A great quote and image, and also a beautiful acknowledgement
— Sara Sleeman (@Sarasle) March 8, 2018
7. Opening the sticky door for each other
— Alison Gow (@alisongow) March 8, 2018
8. Being bold in the Phillipines
Be bold for change
— Team Fisheries (@UPVCFOSSC) March 7, 2018
9. The amazing difference these UK women are making
Two hundred business leaders, entrepreneurs, Members of Parliament and academics have joined The Telegraph in calling on the Government to boost female entrepreneurship in Britain #WomenMeanBusiness #internationalwomensday2018https://t.co/J0rU7YtbUc pic.twitter.com/o61ff0wkot
— The Telegraph (@Telegraph) March 8, 2018
10. Some of the reasons we still need to be celebrating International Women’s Day in 2018
— Deirdre Heenan (@deirdreheenan) March 8, 2018
11. A beautiful and powerful quote from Elizabeth Gilbert
— Gemma Atkinson (@MissGAtkinson) March 8, 2018
12. An important call to change things in Africa
— BBC Africa (@BBCAfrica) March 8, 2018
13. Women matter at every stage of their life up to the very end
“You matter because you are you, and you matter to the end of your life.” On #InternationalWomenDay we remember those inspirational words from a remarkable woman, Dame Cicely Saunders #IWD2018 #WomensDay #hospice #internationalwomensday2018 #hospicecare #PressforProgress pic.twitter.com/vXXc2MbRZf
— Hospice UK (@hospiceuk) March 8, 2018
14. In India to make the railway safer for women
To ensure safe travelling of women commuters, WR has introduced easy to use mobile app, talk back system in ladies compartments, whatsapp ‘sakhi’ group besides security helpline number 182. We salute the women power on #internationalwomensday2018 #NariShakti4NewIndia pic.twitter.com/XPq2IDxmPg
— Ministry of Railways (@RailMinIndia) March 8, 2018
15. A beautiful tweet that begins a beautiful thread
— Melissa Jennings (they/them) (@thebookishpoet) March 5, 2018
16. A Powerful message from Serena Williams
— WomenAcrossFrontiers (@WomenAFrontiers) March 6, 2018
17. Breaking down the barriers of gender-bias
— AFP Photo (@AFPphoto) March 7, 2018
18. Women in STEM celebrate
Celebrating #InternationalWomensDay2018 with some of our rocket women. All industries, including ours, are stronger with more women in STEM careers. To all the young women dreaming of becoming scientists and engineers, we’re with you. Dream big and do it! pic.twitter.com/g3fCkgK3w6
— Rocket Lab (@RocketLab) March 8, 2018
19. It’s happening in Australia – when companies believe in equality (and don’t just say they do) women earn the same as their male counterparts
An Australian energy company is giving hundreds of female employees a raise to make sure they get paid the same amount as their male counterparts https://t.co/cV4df0pWwJ #InternationalWomensDay pic.twitter.com/LMWXhwDDBn
— CNN International (@cnni) March 8, 2018
20. Because we all need role models
In honor of #InternationalWomensDay, we are committed to shining a light on empowering female role models past and present in an effort to inspire more girls.
— Barbie (@Barbie) March 6, 2018
21. The UK’s Labour Party’s beautiful tribute to International Women’s Day 2018
— The Labour Party (@UKLabour) March 8, 2018
This International Women’s Day, we are celebrating autistic women and girls.
— National Autistic Society (@Autism) March 8, 2018
23. Breaking the gender bias – In Somalia
Marwa Mauled Abdi, 24, football coach and player in Hargeisa, Somalia pic.twitter.com/s3qyfoMnmX
— AFP Photo (@AFPphoto) March 8, 2018
24. Sadly there are too many reasons we’re still celebrating International Women’s Day
Because 63 million girls still need to go to school. Because women only earn between 60 and 75% of men’s wages – for the same work. Because 1 in 3 women have experienced physical or sexual violence in their life. #internationalwomensday2018 pic.twitter.com/Ov6EICxldf
— KatherineHand (@kmachand) March 7, 2018
25. How it all began
Woman is the light of God. #Rumi #WomensDay #IWD2018 #HerStoryOurStory #InternationalWomensDay #internationalwomensday2018 #ThursdayMotivation #ThursdayThoughts #quotes #quotestoliveby #quotesoftheday #QuotesForLife #quoteoftheday #ernest6words #InspirationalQuote #sixwordstories pic.twitter.com/HXTDwAuE4t
— Six Word Stories (@ernest6words) March 8, 2018
26. United we stand
— Sandra Hunter (@sndrmusic) March 8, 2018
27. A request to acknowledging our idols
— Sharing.Social.London (@ShareSocialLdn) March 8, 2018
28. What are extremists most afraid of?
— National Library (@natlibscot) March 8, 2018
29. A great reminder
— Judith van den Broek (@judith_broek) March 8, 2018
30. It’s women who are flying this plane now
— KLM UK ✈ (@KLM_UK) March 8, 2018
International Women’s Day 2018 isn’t over yet, so don’t forget to add your favourite tweets in the comments section below!